From: Matthias Troyer (troyer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-12-18 02:15:32

On Wednesday, December 18, 2002, at 01:57 AM, Robert Ramey wrote:

> From: Ihsan Ali Al Darhi <iad929_at_[hidden]>
>
>> I have a question for you.
>
>> Do you think that the serialization library should save exceptions?
>
> I don't know if the question is for me but I'll respond anyway.
>
> I can't imagine what you mean by this. An exception is a class
> definition and can be save/restored as can any other class. I'm
> curious as to why you would want to do this. I'm not saying that
> there is anything wrong with it - I just wonder if you've come
> upon some application that hasn't occurred to me.

At first I also thought this to be useless, but a possible application
just came to my mind: Imagine you run a program in parallel, and one
process throws an exception. How do you recover consistently on all
processes? One solution might be that the catch() clause broadcasts the
exception to all other processes, using serialization to transmit the
exception object.

Matthias