From: Peter Simons (simons_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-12-28 04:30:13

Joel de Guzman writes:

>> What would be particularly nice is if the sync is entirely
>> scripted, so anyone with Boost CVS write access can run it. [...]
>> perhaps all that is needed is to have a working directory which is
>> first updated from the Spirit CVS, and then committed to the Boost
>> CVS.

> Can we do this Dan?

No, it does not work that way. You cannot check-out a tree from one
repository and then commit it into another. CVS cannot do it. The only
way you can synchronize the repositories via CVS directly is by
"import"ing a checked-out copy from the Spirit repository into the
Boost repository. This _can_ be scripted, though. I am using a similar
approach to synchronize my local CVS server with Boost's.

The problem is, though, that this whole operation gets somewhat
complicated when people start committing to both the Spirit and the
Boost version of the repository, because then you'll have to manually
merge the changes into one branch. And that's not always very easy to
do.

Another problem is that "cvs import" does not track deleted files;
this has to be emulated by the script as well.

        -peter