From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-01-05 13:21:35

At 10:02 AM 1/5/2003, Peter Dimov wrote:

>From: "Beman Dawes" <bdawes_at_[hidden]>
>>
>> At first glance eliminating the dependency on path seems like a win,
but
>> I'm worried about the future.
>>
>> I think there is at least some chance that path can be expanded to
>> include the ability to handle wide character names.
>
>That's an excellent point, and I'm glad that wide paths aren't completely
>out of the question!

I had a conversation with Bill Plauger, Howard Hinnant, and several other
library implementors at the last C++ committee meeting, and we agreed on a
possible approach to the conversion problem. Conversions between wide and
narrow names has always been the hold up. No one has been willing to step
forward and say "Of all the possible ways to do the conversion, here is how
libraries should do it."

So we might actually see some progress over the next few months.

--Beman