From: Gennaro Prota (gennaro_prota_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-01-09 14:33:44

On 09 Jan 2003 18:02:51 +0100, Gabriel Dos Reis
<gdr_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>So you propose that the presence/absence of an initializer turns an
>expression designating a static data member into an rvalue or lvalue?
>
>I can't speak for the committee. Personnally, I do know that that
>proposal won't get my support. I believe the lvalue/rvalue thingy is
>already confused enought to add such a fragile, more confusing,
>non-uniform rule to the language.

Well, mine was just a "compromise" proposal :-) If it was up to me I
would have just made them rvalues. Isn't the current rule about the
need of a definition more confusing than that?

PS: Since this is OT for the list, I guess it's better continuing by
private mail, if you want to.

Genny.