From: Edward Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-01-20 20:53:46

"Paul Mensonides" <pmenso57_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> [...]

People disagree with others all the time based on their technical
understanding. No one's opinion is exempt from reasonable discussions or
arguments over what someone else perceives as the correct solution to a
technical problem. I'd argue with William Shakespeare ( or his ghost <g> )
on poetical drama if I though I had an intelligent comment to make or, more
to the point, with Bjarne Stroustrup on C++.

I am a great admirer of "Modern C++ Design" as I would guess many other C++
programmers also are. That doesn't make Andrei exempt from other's opinions,
as I am sure he knows, nor do I believe he really thinks it should be so.
But it is strange that he really thinks he is unpopular with Boost, meaning
people who use or create Boost libraries. I would guess exactly the opposite
since the spur he gave to creative template programming in his book must
certainly have influenced many Boost developers.

> The same thing looks like it is happening here with policy-based smart
> pointers. It seems to me that arguments are being manufactured to
preclude
> the concept of a policy-based smart pointer (such as incompatibilities and
> the supposed complexity of interface--neither of which I personally think
is
> significant) precisely because it isn't 'shared_ptr' or that it would
> subsume 'shared_ptr'. That may or may not be the case, but that is how it
> comes off to me, and I can see how it would come off that way to others.

I don't think people are "manufacturing" arguments. They are just bringing
up issues, seeking to discuss them, and make intelligent comments about
ideas which they care.