From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-01-22 12:35:46

Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> writes:

> At 10:23 AM 1/22/2003, David Abrahams wrote:
>
> >Why would anyone want the version without links, ever?
>
> It was done that way originally because that was the
> version that was going to be checked into CVS and
> become part of the release. The links file wouldn't be
> included in CVS and releases because of size.
>
> Since we are discussing just keeping all the versions
> on the SourceForge site, that would seem to eliminate
> the need for a version without links.
>
> There are two other versions we might want to consider eliminating (KISS):
>
> Messages only - Shows status only for tests with warnings or failures.
> Failures only - Shows status only for tests with failures.
>
> I never find myself looking at those. Does anyone else
> use them? The thought behind them was that as compilers
> (and libraries!) improved, it will get pretty boring
> looking at a large table that is all "pass" on most
> rows.
>
> Thoughts?

I might want a link on the main page which did "sort by status". For
authors who care about portability it could provide incentive to move
to the top of the heap. However, this is a mostly frivolous
suggestion and not nearly as important as eliminating useless cruft.
So, my conclusion for now is: slash and burn, baby!

--
                       David Abrahams