From: k.takahashi (kohske_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-01-27 11:24:06

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 11:10:39 -0500 (EST)
Douglas Paul Gregor <gregod_at_[hidden]> wrote:

At frist, Thank you for your good imformation.

> On Sun, 26 Jan 2003, k.takahashi wrote:
> > Now, we intend to translate boost library document into Japanese, and
> > publish them on the web.
> >
> > Then, we want to ask you some points.
> >
> > First, are there any problems about license or copylight?
>
> There should not be any problems with license or copyright, so long as you
> leave the original copyright in the translated document:
> http://www.boost.org/more/lib_guide.htm#License

I see. Now we start this project following to that guidance.

> > For example, sholed we require permission of each author/developer
> > of each library for translation?
>
> No, but you might want to contain the authors prior to translating the
> documentation to make sure the documentation is relatively stable. For
> instance, there is a project to convert Boost documentation into a dialect
> of DocBook so that we can do more cross-referencing and have more
> consistent documentation, so the documentation for several libraries has
> been redocumented. This documentation project is here:
>
> http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?Boost_Documentation_Format

I think DokBook is pretty good project, but we will start with html
translation. It is because now DokBook may be more difficult to use than
simple html, and there are more html document than DocBook.
But, I think reverse conversion from html to DocBook will be possible
automatically, so our html document may be finally converted to DocBook.

> > Second, should we report details of our work of translation to boost
> > commitee? If so, where sholud we report?
>
> I'll have to leave this question to someone else...
>
> > At first, do I post this kind of message to correct commitee?
> > Is there more correct mailing list, etc. to discuss this kind of issue?
>
> Yes, I believe this is the right list. There is also a mailing list for
> the aforementioned documentation project at:
>
> I know that DocBook is supposed to be better than HTML for translation,
> but am completely ignorant of the issues. Since we are converting
> documentation already to a new format, is there something we can do that
> would make it easier for translation? If you think that there is some way
> we can help, e.g., in the design of the DocBook format or in conventions
> we apply to documentation, that would be a good mailing list for such a
> discussion.

Thank you for your kind proposal. If some requirement occurs in our
discussion, I post that to this mailing list. But we still have much to
study about DocBook...
So we will start with html, but I think all document must have format of
DokBook in future. I think this project is under the period of
transition!!

Thanks.

--
k.takahashi <kohske_at_[hidden]>