From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-01-30 09:25:12

From: "David Abrahams" <dave_at_[hidden]>

> Would you indulge me and try the benchmark again with the enclosed
> shared_count patch applied and #undef BOOST_SP_USE_STD_ALLOCATOR? I
> don't really know what's going on under the covers in the SGI
> allocator; this is basically just the same hack I threw at the problem
> years ago.

I've taken the liberty to convert the patch into detail/quick_allocator.hpp.
#define BOOST_SP_USE_QUICK_ALLOCATOR to make shared_ptr use it.
shared_ptr_alloc_test.cpp has been updated, too. You can now compare
quick_allocator vs SGI std::allocator yourself. :-)

quick_allocator doesn't compile on VC6 or Borland 5.5.1, though. I haven't
investigated too deeply.

> My patch doesn't pretend to work for a threaded implementation, so
> only the no-threads test applies.

I added a lightweight_mutex lock here and there, but haven't made any
extensive multithreaded tests.