From: Douglas Gregor (gregod_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-01-30 11:29:29

On Thursday 30 January 2003 11:05 am, David Abrahams wrote:
> > [Yes, I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but I really
> > don't think we should ever be generating documentation directly from
> > C++ code.]
>
> I can't see any relevance. Care to explain?

I stated that _very_ poorly. I meant that I don't believe we should be writing
HTML directly: not by ourselves for documentation, and not with C++ code for
regression tests. As soon as we put data into HTML, we've lost most of the
structure of the data. With documentation, losing structure means that it is
harder to cross-reference information or pick out the most important
information for a particular task; with the regression tests, we lose the
ability to easily generate other kinds of regression test tables because all
of the structure of the data was thrown out when the C++ program ended. I
also find tweaking the HTML output from C++ code to be an unnecessarily
time-consuming process.

        Doug