From: David B. Held (dheld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-02-03 03:02:44

"David B. Held" <dheld_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> [...]
> I mean, the optimally_inherit eliminates the empty bases, and yet
> there is size bloat. So VC++ makes the class bigger for some other
> reason than that it has empty bases. I will try to write some tests to
> see why that is, or at least how.

Well, I started from an earlier version, and slowly made changes so
that it uses the latest RAII version (not with the intermediate ptr_manager
yet). On this W2K build, it still gives sizeof(smart_ptr) == 8, so I'm
at a loss to explain what causes the inflation on my other machine. I will
have to take a hard look at what's different between versions. Could
the size possibly change based on different instantiations? Or
instantiating
certain member functions? Is it conceivable that it would have different
behaviour on different Win32 platforms?

Dave