From: Thomas Witt (witt_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-02-03 07:29:57

Hi Emily,

Emily Winch wrote:
| On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 15:30, Jeremy Siek wrote:>
| I would be very happy to submit it to boost, and several people have
| suggested this. I think it would be a mistake to submit it for a formal
| review without any prior discussion.

Yep. What about making it available in the sandbox and improving the
compiler support.

| I have mentioned this a couple of times now, and the lack of feedback
| led me to think that nobody was particularly interested in it. That's
| easy to believe, since when I wrote the paper it was really more from a
| "hey, this is cool" perspective than "hey, this would be really useful".

It is definitely cool. If it is useful I don't know.

| So, I have a question: Why no feedback?
|
| a) The library is not something that people think makes sense in Boost.

No

| b) The library uses the wrong approach to the problem and someone should
| submit something else.

Haven't heard of anything so far.

| c) The library is not something that anyone would really use. (Hey,
| Jeremy. I'm sure you said you would use it).

As said before I am not sure that it is useful. To me the concept is
really usefull but there are practical issues that may outweigh the
benefit. One problem is the organization of names, mostly key type names
and where to put them. Another problem I encountered is that using
alists does not neccessarily reduce the amount of source code that is
written for the problem I tried to adress. This is partly due to
syntactical issues.

| d) People think it's a great idea but just never got round to having a
| look or making any comments.

One problem may be that the code does not compile on a wide range of
compilers. It is a lot easier to play with something that compiles out
of the box, than wading through endless strings of template related
error messages. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining about the code
it is just a real life problem.

Thomas

- --
Dipl.-Ing. Thomas Witt
Institut fuer Verkehrswesen, Eisenbahnbau und -betrieb, Universitaet
Hannover
voice: +49(0) 511 762 - 4273, fax: +49(0) 511 762-3001
http://www.ive.uni-hannover.de