From: Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve (rwgk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-02-04 02:22:16

--- David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > I did not use boost::shared_array to implement the shared_plain<T>
> > type because one of our requirements is that one reference count can
> > be used to manage multiple types.
>
> Sounds like a job for a policy-based smart pointer to array to me ;-)

This could well be. However:

- I don't think this was an option a year ago when I started the array family
(weak excuse).

- The reference counting object is implemented in exactly 44 lines of code. I
am afraid a policy based approach could easily involve typedef expressions
twice the size (I know I am a bit vicious here).

Having said that, a little overhead could be more than justified if the boost
smart pointer is thread-safe, as I believe it is now. My shared_plain type does
not include any code to specifically support threaded applications (I am
counting on Python to get this right for me).

Ralf