From: Paul A. Bristow (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-02-06 09:52:08

An absolutely invaluable tool.

> > Perhaps worth documenting for MSVC 7.0 (and probably 6.5?)
> >
> > 1 Need to have language extensions enabled. (for WINNT?)
>
> Do I use any nonstandard language extensions?

No, but code that gets pulled in (WINNT?)does, so the MS project Properties
requires /Za. This is a minor disadvantage if you like to be 'strict'.

> > 2 Need to have /EHa rather than /EHs for async exceptions. (for WINNT?)
>
> You need to clarify on that. Why would I want to force async exception
> model?

I can't imagine, but the MSVC compiler 7.0 reports that /EHa is required for it
to compile, and it does. (I suspect it is something like winnt.h that is pulled
in?)

> > 3 std for loop scope is OK.
> I did not get this at all. What do you mean?

(/Zc:forScope) C++ Standard is permitted. This would cause users a problem if
they used code assuming the non-standard previous for loop scope extending after
the end of the loop. So users could be reassured that there isn't a problem
here.

> > 4 Warnings level 4 ok, (except get two warnings about test_main's unused
> args). They are used.

But not by my program, so when I swap int main(){.. to int test_main(int argc,
char* argv[]){ .. I get the entirely expected warnings. I'm only saying that
users would like to know that they can safely use the most picky warning level 4
safely.

> > (and there are several spilling misfakes in that section
> Did you mean "spelling mistakes"? Could you send them to me?

For example (& I think I saw others when I read it before):

'invironment'. ' usiform' errors
Minimal 'testinf' facility
you will be limited 'ti' the set of features
to 'snitch' to one the two 'chaises' above.

(Mea culpa too. I haven't found how to spell check html documents as effectively
as MS Word yet). Suggestions from other Boosters?

> > - and why is the document background so gray?)
> All pages have the same background. What would you prefer?

Plain black on white please. Sorry to be so boring.

Paul

Paul A Bristow, Prizet Farmhouse, Kendal, Cumbria, LA8 8AB UK
+44 1539 561830 Mobile +44 7714 33 02 04
Mobile mailto:pabristow_at_[hidden]
mailto:pbristow_at_[hidden]