From: Paul A. Bristow (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-02-14 10:57:12

I cannot see this being a serious problem unless we simply lift the NR in C++
code verbatim. (Most of it is still in old C style for one thing, despite the
recent reissue).

> I am hoping that with uBlas, we can contribute more numerical
> stuff. I have some Gaussian Mixture Models code that I should be
> rewriting in the not too distant future (currently based on an old
> version of TNT, and most of the important pre-processing needed has to
> be done elsewhere, for the then lack of svd).

This would be a most welcome developement. uBLAS seems a good starting point.

> My old files provide number_of_samples , max, min,
> first_max_index, first_min_index, mean, median, variance,
> standard_deviation, average_deviation, skewness and kurtosis for
> sequences (where appropriate), number_of_bins, mass, first_mode_value,
> first_mode, mean, median, variance, standard_deviation,
> average_deviation, skewness and kurtosis for deensities (where
> appropriate).

Sounds a pretty good selection.

> > Finally, there is the unsolved matter of the math functions we still badly
> > need.
>
> Err, I kind of forgot which ones where requested...

Well all the items in Stephen Moshier's Cephes collection say. erf, gamma,
beta, imcomplete, gaussian etc etc. However, we didn't seem to get far with
agreeing the format for these. My naive assumption that double erf(double)
style functions would be enough was criticised by those who wanted fancier
solutions,
some far fancier.

In my view getting this far would be a major step forward. There are major
problems in accuracy even at double, let alone long double.

There was also talk of an NIST project but I haven't heard of any progress yet.

Paul