From: John Maddock (jm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-02-15 07:00:36

> There's no need for us to argue about this, is there? Can't we detect
> whether the compiler is supporting "long long" and only enable the
> long long code under those circumstances? In fact, /don't/ we do
> that?
>
> If this is just about inconvenient warnings, it seems to me that
> telling people "disable long long support or disable the warning" is a
> perfectly sensible approach.
>
> What am I missing?

I agree completely: the issue is that older EDG compilers (prior to 3.0.0)
don't signal whether they're in strict mode or not, so the question is
whether we should make the current config more pessimistic in these cases.
Note that this is a none issue IMO for Intel 7.

John Maddock
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/john_maddock/index.htm