From: Nicola Musatti (nmusatti_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-02-25 02:34:43

Beman Dawes wrote:> At 07:32 PM 2/24/2003, Daniel Frey wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I came across the following problem:
> >
> >When I have a class X which lives in a namespace where there's a function
> >'checked_delete' declared that can take a X*, smart_ptr (and probably
> >others)
> >that use checked_deleter (note the 'r'!) cannot call checked_delete. It's
> >ambiguous due to argument dependent lookup. To fix it, I had to make the
> >call to checked_delete in checked_deleter qualified:
> >
> >template<class T> struct checked_deleter
> >{
> > typedef void result_type;
> > typedef T * argument_type;
> >
> > void operator()(T * x) const
> > {
> > ::boost::checked_delete(x);
> > }
> >};
> >
> >(alas for checked_array_deleter)
> >
> >Comments?
>
> Go ahead and make the change, unless someone voices an objection.

I don't have a strong opinion in either direction, but I do feel that it
is important that this is thought over. Overloading checked_delete() on
purpose in a user defined namespace might be considered a way to provide
a smart pointer with a custom deleter. Is this really something bad?

Cheers,
Nicola Musatti