From: Alisdair Meredith (alisdair.meredith_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-02-27 09:06:49

Dave Gomboc wrote:

> But those that don't would look for "resource_manager" or "resource_mgr"
> (and might even find "res_mgr"). The smart_ prefix is quite useless in
> this context, there isn't an old resource manager that is being replaced.

The whole resource management idea is quite fraught. Smart pointers
often need this behaviour, so we talk about supplying a resource manager
policy, or set of policies. I wonder if a general resource-management
framework is entirely separate to smart pointers (side-stepping some of
the convergence issues) but sharing the same policies.

As for a name of the resource manager framework, I think we need
something instantly catchy, but also eg short/quick-to-type. vector is
a lot friendler in code than dynamic_array would have been. I am at a
loss to supply a good name myself though, still pondering...

--
AlisdairM