From: Terje Slettebø (tslettebo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-17 02:22:07

>From: "Jeff Garland" <jeff_at_[hidden]>

> On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 17:34:18 -0500, Beman Dawes wrote
> > I'll go over the do-list again after dinner, but it looks like
> > almost all problems have been cleared except for this one.
>
> I don't know if the Linux results are up to date, but
> it appears that we have still taken a step backward with
> lexical cast on gcc 2.95.3. This is causing a large number
> date_time tests which compiled and executed correctly with
> the 1.29 release to fail.
>
> Without actually looking at the source it would be my
> guess that this is related to the fact that the 2.95.3
> standard library only supported old iostreams and that
> somehow the lexical_cast work around got lost in the
> changes. This is supported by the fact that the same
> tests work fine with STLPort. It would be nice if this
> workaround could be restored before the release even if
> results in the 2.95.3 version having the 'string' bug.
> I've attached the details for reference...
>
> Jeff
>
> In file included from
> /home/boost/boost-regress/boost/boost/date_time/date_parsing.hpp:10,
> from
> /home/boost/boost-regress/boost/boost/date_time/gregorian/parsers.hpp:9,
> from

/home/boost/boost-regress/boost/boost/date_time/gregorian/gregorian.hpp:17,
> from ../libs/date_time/test/gregorian/testdate.cpp:7:
> /home/boost/boost-regress/boost/boost/lexical_cast.hpp:173: syntax error
> before `;'

Looking at the CVS, it appears the reason for this is that
config/compiler/gcc.hpp no longer defines BOOST_NO_STRINGSTREAM, even though
it should, at least for 2.95.x and below, as is shown with the above
errors..

The change was done about a year ago, though, so it appears lexical_cast
hasn't been working on g++ 2.95.x for a long time.

In other words, the problem isn't in lexical_cast but in the config files.
Could this be fixed? Also, shouldn't this be done in the library config, not
the compiler?

Regards,

Terje