From: Daryle Walker (dwalker07_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-04-25 01:12:20

I'm not an expert on these things, so correct me if I'm wrong.

1. Aren't wild-cards in filenames/paths resolved by the shell? Don't
the filesystem routines only see the names _after_ expansion? If the
shell handles wild-cards, is it appropriate for boost::filesystem to
deal with them at all?

2. If we decide for boost::filesystem wild-carding, then would it defer
to OS routines for expansion? Or would we have to carry copies of all
the expansion rules (for Windows, UNIX, etc.)?

3. Wouldn't we need a way to turn off or escape wild-carding, if an
user gives a path with wild-cards characters that should _not_ be
expanded? (Remember that '*' and '?' are legitimate filename
characters on some systems.)

Daryle