From: John Maddock (john_maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-04-27 06:34:05

> I realize that I'm replying to a message that is now quite old. Hopefully
> what I have to say is still relevant. Apologies if not.

Absolutely, there are a couple of procedural points I should make:

1) we are talking about a library only TR at present, core changes aren't
allowed just yet.
2) The library TR is not the same as the standard, libraries accepted for
the TR won't necessarily make it into the next standard (still several years
away).
3) If vendors end up implementing is_convertible in terms of an intrinsic,
and if that intrinsic turns out to be more useful than the template, you can
guess which one will make it into the standard (the one you want).
4) There has been some concern expressed that meta-programming helpers
should not be added piecemeal and that some kind of coherent framework
should be created (whether in the core or in the lib).

Regards,

John.