From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-05-03 14:53:04

Andreas Huber wrote:
> Peter Dimov wrote:
>> John Maddock wrote:

[...]

>>> let me know what behaviour is correct and I'll try and patch the
>>> config....
>>
>> I don't know. I'm not sure what BOOST_HAS_THREADS is supposed to
>> mean.
>
> I don't know either. However, I think this is a severe problem that
> should
> be fixed as soon as possible. Multithreaded programs compiled with
> /Za on MSVC could be haunted by rather ugly and hard-to-find bugs as
> a result of this.

[...]

> It seems this could be fixed by deleting the above lines and making
> the windows.h including code (boost/threads, ???) check for
> BOOST_DISABLE_WIN32?

I think that this is a good plan. BOOST_HAS_THREADS is used in
Boost.SmartPtr and Boost.RegEx to indicate "the compiler can create threads,
use a mutex." It's used in Boost.Threads to issue an #error. It seems that
if we leave BOOST_HAS_THREADS on in multithreaded Windows builds regardless
of BOOST_DISABLE_WIN32, nothing (that currently works) will break. John?