From: Floris van den Berg (flvdberg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-05-04 03:11:17

----- Original Message -----
From: "Noel Yap" <Noel.Yap_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2003 5:25 AM
Subject: Re: [boost] Re: in/out parameters, codingstylesandmaintenance

> > > Like I said before, references are implicitly dereferenced pointers.
> > >

> > I think Floris responded to this claim a few times. I'm with him.
>
> Why? Noone has given an example of why references can't be considered
> to be implicitly dereferenced pointers. OTOH, the following clearly
> demonstrates that they are logically equivalent:

Ok. Can you give me a reason why a car cannot be considered a small plane
without wings?

No?

Perhaps because it isn't. It's a car.

Wether a reference WORKS somewhat like a pointer is irrelevant. A car works
somewhat like a plane too, but a car isn't a plane and a reference is not a
pointer. You are still confusing language definition with language
implementation.

Floris