From: Gennaro Prota (gennaro_prota_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-05-08 05:56:43

On Thu, 8 May 2003 05:20:11 -0500, Aleksey Gurtovoy
<agurtovoy_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>I just restored the lost revisions for these three headers:
>
> boost/config/platform/win32.hpp
> boost/config/stdlib/stlport.hpp
> boost/filesystem/convenience.hpp

Thanks Aleksey. I was particularly interested to stlport.hpp
(incidentally: though that doesn't affect the good functioning of the
file, the space between # and endif:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/boost/boost/boost/config/stdlib/stlport.hpp.diff?r1=1.19&r2=1.20

surprises me a bit. Don't call me pedantic, but I'm a curious one :-)
I had seen the colored diff before and didn't notice it. Note that
without the space the line shown in green is, I guess, the following
one, so that's unlikely to get unnoticed when you visually try to
match the #if-s)

>and, comparing what is probably the most recent "before-the-disk-crash" CVS
>snapshot to the current CVS state, it seems that collectively we've been
>able to restore everything. Still, if we have resources for that, may be
>it's worthy to set up a backup job somewhere to copy everything off-site,
>nightly or so - we might not be so lucky next time.

I'm not against that. However, as far as I've understood from the mail
that Beman quoted, the sourcefourge people make daily backups anyway.
I think what we should have (ideally) is not a daily backup, but a
"newest version" backup (if nothing else, the "daily" and "nightly"
concepts fail miserably for boost, since we have developers in many
different timezones). I drop an idea: suppose that when there's a new
commit the CVS informs, via e-mail, the penultimate people that had
done a commit. This way I (the generic developer) can do the
following: before doing any commit check out the whole repository (in
order to have the newest state of everything), then _until I receive
the informative mail_, I do keep my copy. When I receive the mail I
know that the duty to keep the files is up to someone else. Of course
that doesn't protect against failures of the "last committor" machine,
but... As a further precaution we could advice for keeping a fresh
checkout for at least one day, regardless of informative mails
(provided that we can setup something similar). Thoughts?

Genny.