From: Patrick Kowalzick (Patrick.Kowalzick_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-05-12 10:07:40

Thats really interesting and I got quite shocked. So I multiplied two
matrices with uBlas. I was too lazy to compile a non debug version, so it is
really not optimized. While I never get my profiler to do what I want I
counted the seconds ;-).

It took less than 5 sec for the multiplication of 2000x2000 and less than 1
sec for 1000x1000. 5000x5000 took about a minute but it swapped all the
time.

I have 256MB memory and hmm, i do not know but I think 1.6Ghz P4 and a Riva
TNT2 ;-).

Not any more shocked,
Patrick

"Zdenìk Hurák" <z.hurak_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Dear uBLAS friends,
>
> I have performed some benchmarking on matrix multiplication and compared
> results for uBLAS, Matlab 6.5, Matlab 5.3 and ATLAS. The results are quite
> surprising. If anybody is interested, I can send him/her an electronic
copy
> (in pdf) of the tests.
>
> An excerpt (possibly not nicely aligned) summarizing computation times for
> matrix multiplication (in seconds) and the details on computational
platform
> are pasted bellow.
>
> Please, have a look at this. It is really very disapointing. Note that I
> switched NDEBUG correctly for this test and yet the multiplication of two
> matrices of size 1000 x 1000 takes about 2 seconds in Matlab but about 40
> seconds in uBLAS. ATLAS needs 1 second only on my machine. For matrices
2000
> x 2000 Matlab needs about 20 seconds but uBLAS need sixty times more (1139
> s). ATLAS only requires 10 seconds. Is this in agreement with your own
> experience?
>
> Are there any other things that I have to switch on or off to make uBLAS
run
> reasonably fast? I believe that this huge gap in performance cannot only
be
> caused by some cache issue. Or can it? Sixty times slower than Matlab? I
am
> looking forward to reading your experience with competitivness of uBLAS
> performance.
>

> size of matrices 500x500 MATLAB6.5 MATLAB5.3 uBLAS ATLAS:
> X = A*B: 0.313 2.5 3.7 0.17
>
> X = A*B*C: 0.625 5 7.41
>
> X = A*B*C*D: 0.937 7.5 11.5
>
> size of matrices 750x750 MATLAB MATLAB uBLAS ATLAS:
>
> X = A*B: 1.047 8.17 14.33 0.53
>
> X = A*B*C: 2.078 16.32 28.47
>
> X = A*B*C*D: 3.14 24.52 42.95
>
> size of matrices 1000x1000 MATLAB MATLAB uBLAS ATLAS:
>
> X = A*B: 2.375 19.3 39.5 1.22
>
> X = A*B*C: 4.829 38.61 78.4
>
> X = A*B*C*D: 7.125 57.84 117.8
>
> size of matrices 2000x2000 MATLAB MATLAB uBLAS ATLAS:
>
> X = A*B: 19.328 151 1139 9.27
>
> X = A*B*C: 38.735
>
> X = A*B*C*D: 58.062
>
> testing architecture AMD Duron 1,2GHz, 512MB SDRAM
>
> MATLAB version - 6.5.0.180913a (R13), OS - WinXP
>
> MATLAB 5.3 version - 5.3.1.29215a (R11.1), OS - WinXP
>
> UBLAS version - 2003_05_10, OS - Red Hat Linux 9, compiler - G++ (GCC)
3.2.2