From: Ronald Garcia (garcia_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-05-14 17:18:36

On Wed, 14 May 2003, Lucas Galfaso wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> is anyone considering the addition of an arbitrary precision number library?

In short, yes.

Several C++ implementations of arbitrary magnitude integers (bignums or
bigints) are laying around Boost, but none have been proposed for review.
Two implementations can be found in the Boost Files section on Yahoo, one
by Helmut Zeisel (in the big_int folder) and one by myself (in the
bigint folder). The version I prepared is also in the
Boost Sandbox, though I have not touched it since about September (my
academics took priority at that time).

Others have mentioned interest in having an arbitrary precision number
library in Boost, especially since Boost already has a rational library.
An arbitrary magnitude integer combined with the rational library would
result in a type whose numerical properties are well understood.

I had several intentions for my version of the numerical library:
1) adding some of the features from Helmut's library, and
2) determining how the same interface could be used with a more
specialized library underneath (several libraries currently exist with
highly-tuned back-ends for specific architectures)

I have simply not had the time to pursue this further. I have not had
the opportunity to correspond with Helmut, so I don't know his
intentions. Anyone interested in adopting this project
has my blessing.

ron