From: Noah Stein (Noah_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-05-22 10:50:40

point = point +/- point might make sense. It depends upon the vector space
you're using. In an affine space, you would be correct - you can't add
points together. Well, even in that space, it can be useful from time to
time: finding the midpoint [(p1+p2)/2] or some other barycentric
combination. In a Grassman space, any point +/- point combination is a
valid operation. The paper I referenced in my last e-mail provides a great
discussion of this very point:

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=504789.504792

-- Noah