From: Reece Dunn (msclrhd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-06-09 09:23:30

I am also interested in this. I like the idea of being able to compose
streambufs to combine facilities, possibly something like this:

template< typename CharT, class StreamBuf >
class streambuf_compose
{
};

Where it inherits from the parent streambuf. I have not though this idea
through completely yet.

I am also interested in indentation facilities, with the ability to turn
them off (e.g. formatting CDATA or PRE tags in XML/HTML).

Also, is there a way for you to bind a streambuf to a stream? I have not had
any direct experience with stream buffers, so I don't know. If not, it would
be a good idea to have an I/O stream that can have a custom stream buffer,
that way you can use stream facilities on these buffers, thus gaining access
to compression, encription, etc.

I have basic code that writes a stream to a Windows console using WriteFile
and GetStdHandle functions. This is not a complete stream implementation,
but would be useful to have - expressed as I/O traits?? E.g.

class windows_io_traits
{
   public:
      typedef HANDLE handle_type;
   public:
      inline handle_type get_output_handle()
      {
         return( ::GetStdHandle( STD_OUT_HANDLE ));
      }
      inline write( handle_type h, const char * data, long len )
      {
         ::WriteFile( h, data, len );
      }
};