From: Thomas Wenisch (twenisch_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-06-27 11:25:59

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Paul A. Bristow wrote:

> // (C) Jane Programmer, 2003
> // See www.boost.org/license for license terms and conditions
> // See www.boost.org/libs/janes-lib for documentation
>
> Looks fine to me, though I prefer "Copyright" to (C)
>
> Paul

I have been told by previous employers' lawyers that the word "Copyright"
is in fact required. A claim of copyright must include the word
"Copyright" or the copyright symbol (a circled C), and the year of the
copyright. In the US, a capital C in parenthesis does not carry the legal
meaning of the word copyright or the copyright symbol. Since ASCII
doesn't offer a copyright symbol, we must include the word copyright.
However, the same lawyers suggested including both "Copyright" and "(C)",
as other countries may not accept the word Copyright, but might accept the
(C).

In any event, this is a really short and easy question for the lawyers.

Regards,
-Tom Wenisch
Computer Architecture Lab
Carnegie Mellon University