From: Ben Woodhead (zander_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-07-13 08:26:09

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gabriel Dos Reis" <gdr_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Sunday, July 13, 2003 5:07 AM
Subject: Re: [boost] Re: Compiler status for GCC 3.3

> Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> | At 02:44 AM 7/3/2003, Giovanni Bajo wrote:

> | >No, it's correctly fixed, but since it's a fix that breaks ABI, the
> | >version number was bumbed. By default, GCC 3.3 uses the GCC 3.2 ABI.
> | >If you want to
> | >activate the new version, you have to explicitally say so.
> | >"-fabi-version=0" always selects the last version of the ABI.
> |
> | So are you are saying we should add "-fabi-version=0"?
>
> If you do that unconditionally, you may get ABI incompatible
> libraries/programs compared to what your system come with.
>
> The default ABI version for GCC-3.3.x is 1. You might want to set it
> to 2 and see what happens (for GCC-3.3.x) -- some bugs are fixed in
> -fabi-version=2.
>

> This whole thing (-fabi-version) is messy. It is what one gets by
> taking users for beta testers ;-)
>
> -- Gaby

Hello

Was this -fabi-version flag just there for testing different version or do
users have to know about this? Could you test the compiler version and set
it appropriately ABI. As you guys are probobly already aware of is that this
will lead to a ton of questions (if people read enough to know the flag
excists) and bug reports due to ABI imcompatibilities.

Ben