From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-07-14 08:24:54

At 01:27 PM 7/13/2003, Marshall Clow wrote:

>>>Is anyone else seeing this, or am I the only one?
>>
>>If you are accessing CVS via SSH (developer), you should not have
>>any problem. In fact CVS access has been very fast and reliable
>>lately for me doing SSH access.
>
>Beman -
>I've read the SF docs, generated some keys, and attempted to
>connect to SF using SSH -- all I've got is a bunch of timeouts.
>
>I would sure appreciate it if you would send me a couple of CVS commands
>that you use to do this.

I use:

    cvs -z9 update -P -d

My CVS_RSH environmental variable is set to the path of the ssh program I
use. It takes care of all the security stuff; from my perspective it is
just magic that works without any action on my part.

I just glanced at the S/F Mac OS documentation, and it doesn't seem to give
a test procedure. The Windows docs have a "Testing automatic
authentication" section. The idea being to verify the ssh setup using the
facilities of the ssh client program before actually trying to execute any
cvs commands. That would seem to be a sensible approach. Some ssh clients
have "verbose" modes that help greatly in debugging authentication issues.

HTH,

--Beman