From: Robert Klarer (klarer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-07-21 16:00:30

Beman Dawes wrote:

> At 05:13 PM 7/20/2003, Misha Bergal wrote:
>
> >Something seems to be wrong to me tough. The programming languages
> >(environments) introduced lately do not implement fixed-point only
> decimal
> >numbers.
>
> Fixed-point is used in applications driven by external requirements, not by
> what is or isn't available in programming languages.

> >I believe that we might be on the wrong track here. It seems to me that
> we
> >might be doing something obsolete and not needed any more (in form
> proposed
> >by the submitter).
>
> That's possible, but my guess is that it is going to be a long time before
> floating-point becomes acceptable in the broad world of business, industry,
> and government. Try it on your tax return and see what kind of a response
> you get:-?

Beman,

I think that Misha's point in mentioning programming languages that currently
support a floating point decimal type (or types) is that there is already
acceptance of floating point in that broad world. I believe that the use of
floating point is mandated by certain industry regulations in some jurisdictions.

By "long time," do you mean 5 years or 25 years?