From: Joerg Walter (jhr.walter_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-07-22 17:42:59

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Abrahams" <dave_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2003 2:25 AM
Subject: [boost] Re: uBlas and linear algebra questions

> Kirill Lapshin <kir_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> > David Abrahams wrote:
> >> I'm trying to get a grip on what facilities are available for doing
> >> linear algebra with uBlas, but I can't seem to find any good
> >> information. I'm interested in such things as:
> >> LU factorization
> >> Cholesky factorization
> >> Gaussian Elimination
> >> Ordinary Least Squares Regression
> >> ...etc...
> >> Can somebody help me out?
> >
> > uBlas does not provide such high level algorithms. You can try to use
> > lapack bindings (available in files section of ublas mail list). The
> > bindings are still work in progress, subject to change, and they wrap
> > only very limited subset of lapack algos.
>
> Ah, I understand. It seems as though the choices for linear algebra
> in C++ haven't improved much since I first started looking at them
> several years ago.

I'm still curious to write some generic linear algebra algorithm, but my
time is limited and I'm a bit unsure about the requirements. Currently most
users seem to be more interested in high performance implementations than in
generic use cases (with boost::interval as scalar type for example).

Regards,
Joerg