From: E. Gladyshev (egladysh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-07-30 01:24:25

> But localisation should be orthogonal to the GUI
> library. By all means
> let's have (eventually) a resource loading library
> that understands
> native resource files, but there's no reason for
> that library to be on
> intimate terms with the GUI library

Localization is not just changing a set of labels and
strings. I had some localization experience at
InstallShield. Sometimes you need to change the GUI
layout as well.
The problem is that the approach suggested by Brock
and Philippe is a compile-time GUI design.
If you want to be able to use the GUI library with
resource files, the GUI library should be more
oriented toward the run-time design. In this case you
can make the GUI library orthogonal to external GUI
scripts. It is a very important trade off. I don't
know what is the best way to go. It is a critical
issue from my standpoint.

BTW: I really like Philippe's approach. It is very
basic and inherently scaleable but it is not a
run-time design.

Eugene