From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-02 12:10:29

At 02:39 AM 8/1/2003, Douglas Gregor wrote:

>From: "E. Gladyshev" <egladysh_at_[hidden]>
>[snip]
>> template < typename IT, typename PhysicalGuiLayer >
>> class ListControl
>[snip]
>
>I'm coming in a bit late into this discussion, but I too am interested in
>the outcome of this project.
>
>I strongly dislike the PhysicalGuiLayer template parameter, for several
>reasons...

Always hard to tell without seeing a firm proposal, but for me
a PhysicalGuiLayer template parameter would probably evoke an "over my
dead body" response. I think the reasons Doug gives in his message are just
the tip of the iceberg, but they are plenty good enough to sink the ship,
IMO.

The whole point of a "portable GUI library" is the word "portable", and I
meant semantically portable, not just syntactically portable. Thus the sort
of examples Brock has been posting are what I would hope to see - no
mention of platforms. OTOH, Eugene has posted a series of examples which
include "win32" in various names, and I find those pretty repulsive. I
don't have and problem with Win32 as a platform and use it as my preferred
development environment. But my code must be portable to all modern
systems, and a few legacy systems too.

--Beman