From: Reid Sweatman (drunkardswalk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-04 04:46:09

That distinction is part of what I was trying to work around with my
off-the-wall suggestions. However, there's a fundamental distinction
between a path and a directory: a path describes the location of a
directory, while a directory is an object. I know this confusion is built
into just about every OS out there, but I think a naming scheme that made
this distinction obvious would be "a good thing." What, you're waiting for
suggestions? I've already shot my wad on that one, with the "full" and
"rooted" notions. They don't really capture it, though. Problem here is
that you want the directory to exist, but you're describing the two
functions in terms of objects, on the one hand, and paths on the other.
There must be some keywords that would capture this. I'm going to respond
to a message a little further down the thread, though, with a different
distinction, and it'll have to capture both <g>.

Reid Sweatman