From: Brock Peabody (brock.peabody_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-04 16:28:23

[mailto:boost-bounces_at_[hidden]]
> On Behalf Of E. Gladyshev
> Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 2:33 PM
> To: Boost mailing list
> Subject: RE: Re: Re: [boost] GUI/GDI template library
>

> --- Brock Peabody <brock.peabody_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>
> > This saves us from having to find a representational
> > scheme that will
> > fit on top of an unknown number of platforms which
> > might not have
> > anything in common.
> >

> I think this is where we disagree. I prefer to find a
> single low-level represntation scheme that could be
> implemented on top of an unknown number of platforms.
> The representation could be even expressed in terms of
> a C API, it doesn't matter. The modern C++ layer will
> use the single representation, and not worry about a
> specific platform at all. The C++ layer will reside
> in .h files completely.

That might be a better way to go. I just don't know enough about GUI
systems other than MFC to be able to envision what a scheme like that
would look like or if it would succeed. You might save a lot of work
coming up with a single low-level representation scheme, but it might
become too complex. It's probably worth a try. In the worst case, I
feel confident that we can make my brute-force approach work.

> If we do something like this, then our library will
> support Rainer Deyke's requirements (see his post in
> this thread).

I'll see if I can find it.

Brock