From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-06 10:32:09

I think this is a badly-chosen name. Both POSIX and Python have a
basename function which does roughly what our leaf() function does.

Python:

>>> import os.path
>>> help(os.path.basename)
    Help on function basename:

    basename(p)
        Returns the final component of a pathname

>>> os.path.basename('foo/bar.baz')
    'bar.baz'

POSIX:

    $ info basename

    `basename': Strip directory and suffix from a file name

       `basename' removes any leading directory components from NAME.
    Synopsis:

         basename NAME [SUFFIX]

       If SUFFIX is specified and is identical to the end of NAME, it is
    removed from NAME as well. `basename' prints the result on standard
    output.

    $ basename 'foo/bar.baz'
    bar.baz

    $ basename 'foo/bar.baz' .baz
    bar

I don't think we should use creative naming in cases like this one.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting