From: Russell Hind (rhind_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-07 06:26:53

Peter Dimov wrote:

> To make out-of-line libraries "plug and play" we may have to prefix/suffix
> all* inline libraries as well, making their users pay for something they do
> not need.
>
> * Under the assumption that they are potential future dependencies.

I understand this (and it was because signals relies on shared_ptr that
I was bitten by it), but by default the libraries are all built using
the default compiler option for the tool. The inlined (header-only)
library are only tested against that default set, so why not enforce
that default set for all boost libraries? If an individual library
author then wants to enforce another set (different alignment or
something) for optimisation purposes, then let then over-ride the
defaults, but at least everywhere that library is used, it will use the
same compiler options and stop the problems of hangs/crashes at runtime
due to mis-matched settings.

Thanks

Russell