From: E. Gladyshev (egladysh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-07 11:51:00

--- "Philippe A. Bouchard" <philippe_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> A visual interface is so slow sometimes when you
> have to resize a button
> group of 120 buttons, reorder the tab sequence, use
> new fonts, redefine
> standard margins, etc. This is too much technical.
> Those caracteristics
> should have their own defaults and you should be
> able to define new values
> to subgroups or child containers (toolbars, iconic
> view, etc.).
>
> A spacer could be used also to simulate an invisible
> widget taking space. I
> also agree that proportionnal dimension properties
> of the layout manager
> could be added, it would be really great to say: I
> want to use 1/3 - 2/3 for
> 2 widgets horizontally or 3/5 - 1/5 - 1/5 for my 3
> columns, etc.

I think the library should be scaleable in respect to
the space management. We can implment a set of
predefined space managemenet strategies/polices, all
the great stuff that we can come up with. However the
user should be able to customize them in any way she
likes.
For instance the row/col management strategy can be
just one of the predefined set.
In general, I think that it is just an issues of clear
definitions of space management basics that can be
utilized by various specilized algorithms.

Eugene