From: Alexander Nasonov (alnsn-mycop_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-11 02:58:44

All of you know what is pipe and what are iostreams. In this library they
work together.
Writer-thread put objects into pipes while reader-thread get them from the
pipe. Ålthough objects are copied to/from pipe, this is often a better
alternative to object sharing because the pipe manages inter-thread
communication for you. Thus, you can concentrate on domain logic rather
then on threading primitives.
Unlike OS-provided pipes that operate with bytes of data this library is
iostream based. It means that you work with objects.
The library doesn't use OS pipes. Pipe support is implemented by hand with a
help of Boost.Threads. Synchronization occurs only in underflow, overflow,
sync, open and close functions which means fast I/O.
The library also has two capacity models: limited and unlimited. In the
former case, if writer goes ahead of a reader it stops and waits; in the
latter case, the writer always allocates new block of memory when overflow
occurs.

Example:

// main thread
pipe pp; // limited_capacity by default