From: Alexander Nasonov (alnsn-mycop_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-14 03:51:48

Bohdan wrote:
> "Alexander Nasonov" <alnsn-mycop_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>> graydon hoare wrote:
>> > an inter-thread pipe might also be referred to as a synchronization
>> > channel, if you want to avoid confusion about names (pipes being a
>> > particular OS object).
>> >
>> > -graydon
>>
>> Synchronization channel sounds good except that stream names are too
>> long.
>>
>> synchronization_channel channel; // good
>>
>> // too long?
>> synchronization_channel_istream in(channel);
>> synchronization_channel_ostream out(channel);
>>

> What about shell_stream ?

Mine is not shell stream. It has nothing common with stdin/stdout of shell
commands :)

There are two kinds of pipe: (a) shell feature (aka out_cmd | in_cmd under
unix) and (b) OS object.

Win32 pipe objects are described here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ipc/base/pipes.asp

UNIX pipe function:
http://www.umbi.umd.edu/cgi-bin/man-cgi?pipe+2

UNIX popen/pclose (these functions are close to shell_stream)
http://dell5.ma.utexas.edu/cgi-bin/man-cgi?popen+3

--
Alexander Nasonov
Remove minus and all between minus and at from my e-mail for timely response