From: E. Gladyshev (egladysh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-29 19:16:29

I'd like to start a new thread with Gregory's suggestion
and my comments.

Gregory Colvin wrote:

> At the least, we could add the following bullet
>
> * Discussion of memory management strategy.
>
> to http://www.boost.org/more/lib_guide.htm#Documentation
>
> I'm reluctant to say very much more at this point, as my opinions
> may not be suited to the needs of the many different libraries in
> Boost. But I think it's generally reasonable to:

> * not allocate memory unless it's really necessary

$0.02

> * use the standard mechanisms (::operator new or std::allocator)
> when it is necessary

Boost already has boost::allocator. IMO other boost libaries
should consider using boost::allocator instead of
::new and std::allocator.

> * use custom allocation mechanisms only when there is a clear
> advantage to doing so

$.02

> * parameterize only when there is a clear advantage to doing so

I'd modify it to

* Consider parametrization if your library is to be available
  for embedded or non-traditional platfroms.

> * use the standard parameterization mechanisms (Allocator) when
> choosing to parameterize

I'd add to it
* Follow boost::allocator specification for allocator parameters

> * use custom parameterization mechanisms only when there is a
> clear advantage to doing so

$.02

> * document whether and how a library allocates memory

$.02

Eugene