From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-09-02 13:27:04

Gregory Colvin wrote:

> You are assuming that there was no good reason to allow an allocator
> to hook construct and destroy, for instance to do some bookkeeping.

I'm curious. Have you ever seen such an allocator? I've always assumed that
construct/destroy/pointer are a "but someone might need to do that" feature
that nobody has ever used. Then again, the Dinkumware implementation
dutifully calls construct and destroy, paying (and forcing me to pay) the
abstraction penalty price... so maybe I'm wrong, and construct/destroy are
useful?