From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-09-18 08:33:56

At 05:43 PM 9/17/2003, David Abrahams wrote:
>> Changes to the license must be very rare and carefully considered. It
>> is really like a language standard - stability is necessary to get
>> developers on board.
>
>I still question the legality of licensing by reference to text which
>may change dynamically. And it may have a chilling effect. It's not
>just the authors who might be nervous, but the users as well. If you
>were a corporate lawyer, would *you* OK the use of source code whose
>license might change at any time without notice? I believe users must
>be allowed to continue to use the code under the *original* licensing
>terms they agreed to.

Dave,

The licensed can't change dynamically. That's a misunderstanding. Once a
release is made, the license for that release is frozen for all time.
That's already mentioned in the FAQ.

Devin Smith commented "Note that Boost will not be able to retroactively
change the terms applicable to a licensee who has received code under the
terms of an older version of a license agreement.".

--Beman