From: Ferdinand Prantl (ferdinand.prantl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-09-22 09:55:21

Currently it is possible to use MathML or the TeX math syntax for
mathematical formulas in DocBook. OK, there is possible to write a
stylesheet for some new syntax... but these two are supported within
standard distributions.

The former is terrible to write by hand and I am not aware of a good and
free MathML editor. A necessity of such an editor also does not go well with
the second point (easy-to-read sources). Another question is to get it
working through XSL/FO...

The latter benefits from the easy and readable TeX syntax but is limited for
the LaTeX output unless someone creates a convertor to MathML (or says me,
where it is... :-) I have used it and for PS/PDF it works fine. If the work
is math-specific, it is enough. However as a general guidline for a XML
framework it is not nice.

> > - source format should be easy to write and read.
>
> This is mostly a matter of taste :) XML can be tedious to
> write (although the editor support is very good), but it's
> not hard. One can write a simple BoostBook document using the

[snip]

I do not know how much of Boost.Doc DTD differs from DocBook DTD; it should
be possibe to customize DocBook templates of some DocBook-friendly XML
editor (Adept, Morphon, XXE - I have used, ...). Such editors allow not only
context-sensitive element handling but also a WYSIWYG mode.

Ferda