From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-11 19:53:59

"Joel de Guzman" <joel_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Indeed! I hope that will be soon. In the meantime...
>
> <<< OT: I just couldn't believe the longevity of tools such as VC6 for instance.
> I'm quite sure bind will still support VC6 for a long time still, right? I'm now
> in a crossroads on whether or not to leave old crippled compilers behind on
> new code being developed. I wonder what other people are thinking regarding
> this? My strategy has always been: develop using fairly conforming compilers
> and do the port later. But that "port later" thing takes too much energy! >>>

I've always tried to keep the various platforms I'm targeting in the
front of my brain, or at least lurking in the shadows, so that I'm
never very far away from having code which works everywhere. It takes
a lot of effort that way, too, but there are certain basic design
decisions which are dictated by platform limitations -- if you handle
them without considering the broken platforms, you often have to go
back and restructure large parts of the program. So, I guess: it's up
to you whether you want to support vc6 or not, but if you're going to
support it, I suggest you not take the "port later" approach. As you
say, it takes too much energy.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting