From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-16 20:41:53

Aleksey Gurtovoy <agurtovoy_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Beman Dawes wrote:
>> At 01:06 AM 10/16/2003, Joel de Guzman wrote:
>>> We (Spirit developers) discussed this problem before. One solution,
>>> which is not available to us right now, is to have a site where we
>>> can test compilers, a boost-compiler-farm, if you will. The compiler
>>> farm at SourceForge is not a solution because it targets only *nix
>>> platforms. So, I am asking now, how is it possible to have a boost
>>> compiler farm, for boost developers, that can target at least *nix
>>> and windows compilers?
>>
>> We need a volunteer with an always on Internet connection and a
>> bunch of Windows compilers.
>
> Unfortunately, it might not be that simple. Most of the Windows compilers
> are commercial products and as such they come with licences which often
> put all kinds of limitations on non-personal use, time-sharing, and
> product export.
>
> So I would say the first step towards a Windows compiler farm would be to
> determine which compilers we are interested in and check their licensing
> terms (preferably with the help of lawyers) to see if the whole thing is
> viable.

Or, ask for proper permission from compiler vendors. I have a strong feeling
that they'll be supportive of such a service. It's for their own good anyway.
It will only be used for portability testing. I wouldn't care to actually get the
executable result.

--
Joel de Guzman
http://www.boost-consulting.com