From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-23 09:13:59

[2003-10-22] Chris Smith wrote:

>Greetings,
>1. Using boost for a while under Linux. Trying to build the CVS under
>VC7.1 on WinXP.
>After setting the appropriate environment variables, I tried to build
>bjam using the .bat file.
>Got:
>
> LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'C:\Program.obj'
>
>Googling about, this seems to be brought on by space characters in the
>file paths. If that's true, it's self-commenting. :-)
>Is there a Best Practice? Should I re-install Visual Studio into a
>concise, no-space path? Looking at what got built, the static .libs
>made it, but no .dlls.

What version of Boost? What version of bjam?

AFAIK, there are no problems with building bjam 3.1.7 in the normal
situations. Which means with VC installed in "Program Files"...

>2. Also, has the following idea been kicked around for controlling the
>builds:
> Under boost/bin/boost/libs/, have a coded directory that 'flattens
>out' the current branches into an acronym.

Hmm.. CVS version of Boost.. I guess..

Yes it's been mentioned before. I suggest you try out the new build+install
procedure. See this post from yesterday: http://tinyurl.com/s1ke

[snip]

> Some disadvantages are:
> change

Fairly big disadvantage as the regression testing routine and programs have
to be modified and tested. And let me tell you it's a painfull process :-(

> not as readily apparent to the user
> need to consider carefully exactly what values to standardize upon.
>
> (perceived) Advantages:
> more granular (especially if you like multiple debug levels)

Boost.Build doesn't have debug levels currently. Only on/off.

> shorter paths

Yes.

> (potentially) smoother library installs

Which is what the new build/install stuff is about.

> (possibly) cleaner jam files (I haven't written one yet, so I can't
>say, but from some GNU make experience, it could help tidy things).

No. It requires changing Boost.Build itself not the Jamfiles.

-- grafik - Don't Assume Anything
-- rrivera (at) acm.org - grafik (at) redshift-software.com
-- 102708583 (at) icq