From: Linus Tan (ltan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-23 21:06:03

I'm having trouble linking with boost's filesystem library. I searched the
mailing list archives and found a similar problem described, but there was
no solution posted so I'm asking again here.

I'm using Boost 1.30.2, STLport 4.5.3 and MSVC6 SP5. I compiled Boost with
msvc-stlport and stlport-iostream.

Here's the problem: I'm able to link with libboost_filesystem.lib and use
some of the functions. For example, fs::create_directory( "foobar" ) works
perfectly fine. However, when I try to use anything that returns a
std::string I get an error like:
Application.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: class
_STL::basic_string<char,class _STL::char_traits<char>,class
_STL::allocator<char> > __thiscall
boost::filesystem::path::native_directory_string(void)const "
(?native_directo
ry_string_at_path@filesystem_at_boost@@QBE?AV?$basic_string_at_DV?$char_traits_at_D@_STL
@@V?$allocator_at_D@2@@_STL@@XZ)

What could I be doing wrong? I've rebuilt stlport and fiddled with linker
settings to no avail.

I'm using MSVC's debug multithreaded library and the debug boost::filesystem
library, if that helps.

I've verified that I'm including the stlport headers and not MSVC's, and
I've verified that I'm linking to the stlport_vc6 library.

Thanks,
Linus Tan