From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-24 20:51:46

David B. Held <dheld_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> "Joel de Guzman" <joel_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>> [...]
>> One more:
>>
>> Deterministic, Error-Correcting Combinator Parsers
>> S. Doaitse Swierstra and Luc Duponcheel
>> http://www.cs.uu.nl/~doaitse/Papers/1996/LL1.pdf
>>
>> I like this one a lot.
>
> Well, what's your opinion on monads, then Joel?

Monads in particular? Well, not much. Haskell in general is cool!
I learned a lot from Doaitse's work on combinator parsers. He's
still a source of inspiration. I've never heard of "combinators"
when I wrote Spirit. After reading his paper, I realized that
this is exactly what I implemented, albeit in C++. Parsers are objects
that are "combined" or composed to form complex aggregates.
It's interesting that Doaitse went on to implement his prototype
in Java! Bad choice, IMO. Java is not a good language for DSELs.
C++ *IS* the best language for DSELs.

--
Joel de Guzman
http://www.boost-consulting.com